Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 2/3 cup milk
- 5 earl grey tea bags
- 200g of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 1/3 tsp of baking powder
Icing glaze ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 20g of butter
- 3-4 tbsp of earl grey tea (strongly steeped)
- 1-2 drops of purple food colouring (optional)
- Pour the milk in a saucepan and heat it on medium heat for 2 minutes. Then add the tea bags and turn off the heat. Infuse the milk with the tea for 20 minutes.
- Strain the milk and squeeze the tea bags into a measuring cup. Set aside.
- Mix and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add an egg one at a time, then beat well.
- Add the flour, lemon zest and baking powder into the mixture, then fold it gently with a spatula.
- Pour the milk into the mixture, then mix it until well-combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased bread-loaf tin, then bake it at 180 degrees for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the mould, then leave it to cool for five minutes.
- For the glaze, add the icing sugar, butter, and earl grey tea into a heat-proof bowl, and melt over a double boiler until the ingredients are melted and has a smooth consistency.
- Add the purple food colouring and mix.
- Drizzle the icing glaze over the cake. Dust icing sugar on the cake, garnish with small white flowers, then serve.