Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 140 minutes
Total time: 170 minutes
- 1/4 cut of watermelon
- 2 tbsp rosewater
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 150g almond meal
- 150g icing sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 150g sugar
- 500ml thickened cream
- 100g icing sugar
- 25ml water
- 1 tbsp of rosewater
- 250g of strawberry, halved
- 20g of chopped pistachios
- Handful of dried roses
- Cut the watermelon so that it fits into a 22cm cake mould.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of rosewater and sugar on the watermelon and set it aside with a strainer underneath to collect excess water from the watermelon.
- Combine the almond meal and 150g of icing sugar in a bowl.
- Pour the almond dacquoise mixture into two cake pans and bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 180 degrees celsius.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with 150g of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the almond meal into the egg whites until it is all combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the thickened cream with 100g of sugar. Combine the water with the gelatine and add it to the cream mixture and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the cake, use the first dacquoise as the cake base.
- Spread the cream on top, and then add the watermelon.
- Spread another layer of cream on top of the watermelon, then add the second layer of dacquoise.
- Top the dacquoise with a final layer of cream and the strawberries.
- Chill the cake in the fridge to set for at least two hours.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and sprinkle pistachio and rose petals on top.