Prep time: 140 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 160 minutes
- 1 puff pastry
- 500ml milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 4 strawberries
- In a pot, heat the milk, vanilla essence and sugar on low heat until there is steam, then turn off the heat and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, separate the egg yolks and white.
- Add the cornflour to the egg yolks and mix well.
- Add the a third of the milk at a time to the egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined. Continue until all the milk is added.
- Add all of the mixture back into the pot and heat up the pot on medium heat and keep stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Once the mixture thickens into a desired consistency, turn off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Seal the custard mixture with kitchen wrap, and let it cool in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Roll out puff pastry into a tart, then brush the top with the egg white wash, then bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- Remove the tarts from the oven, and add the custard to each tart.
- Garnish with chopped strawberries.